Friday, June 3, 2011
Homemade Oreo Cookies
Ingredients for the chocolate wafers:
* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa (I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa)
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/4 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons room-temperature, unsalted butter
* 1 large egg
Ingredients for the filling:
* 1/4 cup room-temperature, unsalted butter
* 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
* 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat to 375°F.
2. Using an electric or stand mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar.
3. On low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue mixing until dough comes together in a mass.
4. Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely.
5. To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.
6. To assemble the cookies, frost one cookie with the cream, then place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Continue until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.
Posted by Elizabeth at 9:14 AM