Friday, June 24, 2011
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 6 large garlic cloves, minced
• 2 medium shallots, minced
• 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, minced
• 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons white wine
• ½ to ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 6 tablespoons good olive oil
• ½ to ¾ cup panko
• 2 pound fresh bay scallops (if you can only get sea scallops, cut each in half)
• Lemon, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place 6 (6-inch round) gratin dishes on a sheet pan.
2. To make the topping, place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can also use a hand mixer). With the mixer on low speed, add the garlic, shallot, prosciutto, parsley, lemon juice, wine, salt, and pepper and mix until combined. With the mixer still on low, add the olive oil slowly until combined. Add the panko, mix only until combined. Set aside.
3. If your scallops still have the muscle attached, use a small sharp knife and remove the white muscle and membrane from the side of each scallop and discard. Pat the scallops dry with paper towels and distribute them among the 3 dishes.
4. Spoon the garlic butter evenly over the top of the scallops. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the topping is golden and sizzling and the scallops are barely done. If you want the top crustier, place the dishes under the broiler for 2 minutes, until browned.
5. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
Serve with bread - the sauce is fantastic on the bread after you've finished up your scallops!
Posted by Elizabeth at 8:35 AM