Friday, July 15, 2011
Braised herb chicken with potatoes
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 1 1/2 cups (2-inch-thick) slices carrot
* 2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges
* 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag, shaking to coat. Store in the fridge if not cooking right away.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
3. Add chicken and remaining flour mixture to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly brown.
4. Add carrot and onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add broth, wine, and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
You can use chicken thighs in this as well, so if you have those on hand, substitute these for the chicken breasts.
We served this with crusty French bread, but you could serve with egg noodles or rice. The braising liquid would be great as a sauce!
Posted by Elizabeth at 3:17 PM