Friday, July 22, 2011
* 1 T. vegetable oil
* 1 medium onion, minced
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 tsp chili powder
* 1 lb. ground beef
* 1 tsp brown sugar
* salt and pepper
* 1 cup tomato puree or tomato sauce
* 1/2 cup ketchup
* 1/4 cup water
* Frank's Red Hot Sauce, to taste (optional)
* Hamburger Buns
* shredded cheddar cheese
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook til lightly browned, about 5 min. Add the garlic and chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef, brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces Cook til meat is no longer pink.
2. Stir in the tomato puree, ketchup, and water. Cook until mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 min. Season with Frank's, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Serve over rolls topped with cheddar cheese.
This can be made ahead up to 3 days and kept in fridge. It also freezes well. Reheat over low heat, adding a little water if it seems too thick.
When serving, don't be surprised if you need a knife and a fork!
9/8/11 - We made this again while Ryan was out of town, and I only had an 8oz can of tomato sauce in the pantry, so I used that instead of tomato puree. We thought it worked just fine!
Posted by Elizabeth at 8:30 PM