Friday, July 22, 2011
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
* 3 Garlic Cloves, unpeeled
* One 8.5 ounce jar of sun dried tomatoes packed in oil*
* olive oil (EVOO or VOO) as needed to add to reserved olive oil to 1/4 cup
* 1/2 cup shredded or grated Parmesan Cheese
* 1/4 cup toasted walnuts.
* Salt and pepper
1. Toast the walnuts by placing them in a dry skillet over medium heat and shaking occasionally. They are done when they are lightly browned ( be careful, they burn quickly).
2. Toast the unpeeled garlic in a dry skillet until it is lightly brown. Allow to cool, and then peel and rough chop.
3. Separate the tomatoes from the oil, reserving the oil and herbs. Rinse the tomatoes under running water, then dry and rough chop.
4. Place garlic, tomatoes, oil, Parmesan, and walnut is food processor and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. When adding to pasta, use some excess pasta water to loosen the consistency of the pesto.
I added about 1 cup of the pasta water to the pesto to use over the ravioli. You could also serve this pesto with French or Italian bread, similar to bruschetta.
Posted by Elizabeth at 9:09 PM