Friday, September 2, 2011
Chicken Orzo Salad
Ingredients for Salad
* 1 1/4 cups uncooked orzo
* 3 cups cooked chicken breast, diced
* 1 1/2 cups trimmed arugula, romaine lettuce, or iceberg
* 1 cup tomatoes, chopped (grape, cherry or Roma work well)
* 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
* 1/4 cup red onion
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
* 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
* 6 tbsp (1 1/2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese (optional)
Ingredients for Vinaigrette
* 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
* 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin works best, but use what you have on hand)
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 1/8 tsp black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain well and rinse under cold water.
2. Combine pasta, chicken, and the next 6 ingredients (through oregano) in a large bowl; toss well.
3. Combine vinegar, oil, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle vinegar mixture over pasta mixture; toss well to coat.
4. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
We loved this salad without the goat cheese, but if you do have some on hand, it adds a nice zip! Also, if you don't have all the ingredients for the vinaigrette, use whatever salad dressing you have on hand - balsamic or Italian vinaigrette. Bottled salad dressing works just as well, and saves you a step!
Posted by Elizabeth at 8:50 PM