Chocolate Chip Waffles
* 1 cup milk (whole, skim, whatever you have on hand)
* 1 cup sour cream
* 2 egg whites
* 2 egg yolks
* 1 tbsp granulated sugar
* 3 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cool
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
* 1 tsp baking soda
* Pinch kosher salt
* Handful of blueberries, chocolate chips, or whatever you heart desires (optional)
1. Heat your waffle iron. Grease just before adding the batter to the iron.
2. Beat the egg whites for about 2 minutes until stiff peaks form.
3. Combine the wet ingredients (milk, sour cream, egg yolks, butter, vanilla and sugar)
4. Whisk the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt).
5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mix gently. Fold in the egg whites.
6. If you are adding a "mix-in", fold these in after folding in the egg whites.
7. Spoon onto your hot, greased waffle iron. Cook as directed by your waffle iron.
I had sour cream on hand, and I used whole milk because that was the type of milk on the fridge. Folding in the egg whites really lightens the batter.