Friday, December 2, 2011
Wilted Rainbow Chard
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, smashed
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1 bunch Rainbow chard or Swiss chard, ribs removed and chopped, leaves roughly chopped
* Kosher salt to taste
* juice of half of one lemon
1. Heat the oil to a large saute pan with the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat until the garlic turns golden. Remove the garlic and discard.
2. Add the chopped chard ribs and saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the chard leaves and season with salt, to taste. Cook until the leaves are wilted. Stir in the fresh lemon juice, and serve immediately.
I used the rainbow chard because the kids were intrigued by the vibrant colors, which included bright yellow, orange, pink and red. I will say that the colors did mute a bit while cooking, but were still fun to see on the plate! The kids helped make this dish, and were excited to try it. They thought it was good, Ryan and I loved it, so all in all we have a new vegetable in the rotation!
Posted by Elizabeth at 9:18 PM