Friday, January 20, 2012
Pork Tenderloin and Caramelized Onion Quesadillas
* 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
* 1 pork tenderloin, diced
* salt and pepper
* Olive oil
* 1/2 tsp chili powder
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder
* 1/2 tsp cumin
* 1/4 tsp oregano
* 1/4 tsp coriander
* 8 oz shredded cheddar jack cheese
* 6-8 flour tortillas
1. Combine the seasonings in a small bowl. Season the pork with the salt and pepper.
2. Heat olive oil (about 1 tsp) in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook 12-15 minutes, until they are caramelized and tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Heat another bit of olive oil (maybe 2-3 teaspoons) in the skillet now over medium high heat. Add the pork and and begin to cook it for about 2 minutes, moving it around in the skillet. Add the seasonings to the pan and mix with the pork. Continue to cook the pork until cooked through, probably about 5-7 minutes based on how large you cut the pork. Once cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Quickly wash out the skillet (to remove the seasoning) and then use either cooking spray or a tiny bit of additional olive oil to coat the pan. Place a tortilla in the pan, then top with shredded cheese, some of the onions, and some pork. Let the cheese begin to melt and the tortilla crisp a bit, then add a second tortilla. Carefully flip the quesadilla and let the second tortilla crisp. You should get a nice golden color on the the tortillas.
5. Remove the quesadilla from the pan, place on a cutting board, and cut into fourths with a pizza cutter or knife.
6. Repeat with additional tortillas.
7. Serve with salsa or guacamole or sour cream! Enjoy!
Posted by Elizabeth at 8:47 PM