Friday, March 16, 2012
Lego Brick Birthday Cakes
* Your favorite flavor cake (box or scratch)
* Vanilla or white frosting
* Gel food coloring
* Joy Mini Cups (ice cream cones)
1. Make a 13 x 9 sheet cake.
2. After it fully cools, cut it into Lego brick shapes. Mix it up...make some 6, some 4, some 2.
3. Split up the frosting into smaller bowls, and tint each a different color.
4. Using a serrated knife, cut off the bottom of the mini ice cream cones.
5. Frost the bricks, then frost the bottoms of the cones the same color. Place the cone dots on the bricks.
6. Using a toothpick, push the cones into the cake slightly to make sure they are secure. Use the same toothpick to smooth out the frosting.
The mini cones really made the difference to give the appearance of being Lego bricks. Also, the gel food coloring works really well to get deep colors. This is important for the red bricks - you don't want to have pink ones, do you?
Posted by Elizabeth at 9:30 PM