Friday, March 23, 2012

Leprechaun Trap Cake



For St. Patrick's Day we had dinner with friends, and I was asked to bring dessert. I saw this really cute cake, and gave it a whirl. Using a white cake box mix and some food coloring I was able to get a rainbow inside the cake! I used a grass tip to frost the cake so it would like a meadow, and butterscotch disks for the gold. The ladder was two pretzel rods with stick pretzel rungs. The pretzels were "glued" together with almond bark. All the kids loved the dessert, and were surprised when we cut into it and the rainbow was revealed!

This is the original post for the cake I saw and used as inspiration for our St. Patrick's Day dessert! Leprechaun Trap Cake

Ingredients
* white box cake mix
* gel food coloring
* white or vanilla frosting
* 2 pretzel stick rods
* 8 stick pretzels
* almond bark for "glue"

Directions
1. Make the cake as directed on the box.
2. Separate the cake into 7 bowls:
6 ounces – dye it red
5 ounces – dye it orange
4 ounces – dye it yellow
3 ounces – dye it green
2 ounces – dye it blue
1 ounce – dye it purple
1 ounce – to be kept white

3. Fill the angel food pan with the remaining white batter that has not been dyed. Then begin to layer with the dyed colors, making each ring successively smaller.
4. Bake it at 325 in an angel food pan for the time directed on the box. This temperature will keep it from rising too much.
5. Let it cool completely, and then slice the top so that it is flat.
6. Place the cake on the serving platter, and then begin to frost. I used vanilla frosting that I dyed greed. I used a grass tip to pipe the frosting to make it look like grass (imagine that!).
7. I made the ladder using the pretzels and melted almond bark.
8. Fill the middle with butterscotch disks for gold.

Notes
I ended up measuring the batter and dying it in Ziploc bags. This made it easy to layer and put in the cake pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment