Friday, May 25, 2012
Salted Caramel Chocoate Cookies
* 1 cup butter
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup Kraft caramel bits, or cut caramels
* 1/2 cup chocolate chips
* coarse sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
3. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
4. Mix in the caramel bits and chocolate chips.
5. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Press each cookie down slightly to flatten, then sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or just until set. Cool slightly on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.'
8 minutes was perfect in my oven. These can be a little tough to remove if the caramel has melted onto the parchment and gets onto your spatula. Keep cleaning it off so as to aid your taking the cookies off the baking sheets. I could not find the caramel bits, to I used kitchen shears to cut up some normal Kraft caramels to use in the recipe. Also, the sea salt seemed to have dissolved into the cookies during the baking time, so when they came out of the oven, I added one last pinch! Be warned...these are very chocolatey! I used Special Dark cocoa powder, and really enjoyed the flavor.
Posted by Elizabeth at 7:26 PM