* 3 eggs, separated
* 1/2 cups sugar, divided
* 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup baking cocoa
* 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/3 cup water
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
* 1 jar hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
* 3/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
* 1 carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
* 8 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in remaining sugar; beat 2 minutes longer.
- Combine flour, cocoa and baking powder; add to egg yolk mixture alternately with water. Beat in vanilla. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Spread the cake with ice cream. Drizzle with fudge
topping; sprinkle with peanuts. Spread with whipped topping; sprinkle with
cookies. Cover and freeze until firm. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes
At first I thought I would just use a box cake mix for this recipe, but in the end decided since I had all the ingredients on hand I would just go ahead and follow the recipe. I am glad I did! The consistency of the cake part of the dessert was a cross between a brownie and a cake, and it held up well to the freezing. So, ignore the urge to use a box cake mix and go ahead and follow these directions!
Also, when the cake comes out of the oven, it will be really high, and then sink as it cools, so don't be surprised when that happens!