Friday, August 31, 2012

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ingredients
* 1 cup flour
* 3/4 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 3/4 cup shortening
* 1 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 2 cups uncooked old fashioned oats
* 1 cup chocolate chips

Directions
1. Mix the flour, baking soda and salt.
2. Cream the shortening and sugar.  Add the eggs and vanilla.
3. Mix in the flour mixture.
4. When well combined, add the oats and the chocolate chips.
5. Place the  cookie mix in the fridge for an hour or two, this will help them spread less when you cook them.
6. Place the cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and cook for approximately 10 minutes in a 350 oven.  Let the cookies cool about 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before moving them to a rack to finish cooling.

Notes
I wanted an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, but didn't have a good recipe.  So I used a recipe from my grandmother-in-law as a base. I had to omit the nutmeg and the cinnamon, and whoops!  I have to admit - I forgot the salt!  I left the salt in the ingredients listing, because I probably will add it next time I make these.   Also, I only had 2/3 cup of shortening, so I made up the difference with butter.  All in all, they came out scrumptious, though a tiny bit flat.  Don't expect these cookies to be thick and plump, but they will be tasty!  The kids are excited to have these as a choice for their lunchboxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment