Friday, September 7, 2012
Chicken and Rice Burritos
* 1/3 cup sliced green onions
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 2 tbsp butter
* 7 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
* 1 tbsp chili powder
* 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
* 1 16 oz jar salsa, divided
* 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
* 12 oz shredded cheese, divided
* 12 tortillas (or more depending on how big you make your burritos)
* 10 oz jar enchilada sauce
1. In a skillet over medium heat, saute the green onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in chicken, chili powder, 1/4 cup of chicken broth and 3/4 cup salsa. Heat through, set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan bring rice and remaining broth to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the remaining salsa, cover and simmer another 5 minutes or so.
3. Stir the rice and chicken mixtures together. Add 2 cups of the shredded cheese to mixture. Spoon burrito filling onto each tortilla. Fold sides and ends over the filling, then roll into a burrito.
4. Arrange burritos in 2 ungreased 13 x 9 baking dishes. Cover with enchilada suace, then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Feel free to add olives or other ingredients you and your family will enjoy. Also, the chicken, rice and cheese mixture freezes beautifully. Freeze it before putting the filling into the tortillas. Make the filling, and get 2 meals plus leftovers for lunch!
Posted by Elizabeth at 9:21 PM