Friday, September 21, 2012
Zucchini Carrot Muffins
* 2 1/2 cups flour
* 1 tbsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup grated zucchini
* 1 cup grated carrot
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and prepare two muffin tins. This recipe made 18 muffins.
2. In a bowl whisk together the flour. cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl combine the oil and sugar. Beat until well combined.
4. Add each egg, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Squeeze the zucchini to remove any excess moisture. Add the zucchini and the carrots to the sugar and egg mixture and mix well.
6. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the batter, stir long enough to combine well, but do not over-mix.
7. Divide the batter into the muffin tins; anywhere from 18-20 depending on how evenly and high you fill the cups. Try not to fill more than 3/4 full.
8. Bake for 19-20 minutes. Cool for a few minutes in the pan, then serve warm!
All my kids loved these muffins. They were best the afternoon we made them, but reheat them a little the next day to enjoy again! The addition of nuts to this batter, probably about 1/2 to 1 cup, would probably be fantastic!
If you are inclined to make this as a loaf instead of muffins, try using two 8 x 4 loaf pans. I haven't tried this as a quick bread, but I would cook them for 60 minutes and then start checking. They might take up to 90 minutes, but you definitely don't want to over-bake the loaves, so better to check a little too often to find the right time, then to miss to optimal cooking time and end up with dry bread!
Posted by Elizabeth at 5:18 PM