Friday, October 19, 2012
Candy Corn Cupcakes
* White cake mix
* White frosting
* Yellow and red gel food coloring
* 2 candy corn per cupcake
1. Make the white cake mix per the box directions. Set the oven to the suggested temperature, and ready your muffin tins with either spray, butter, or cupcake liners.
2. Dye the batter yellow with the food coloring. Put half the amount of cupcake batter into each muffin cup.
3. Dye the remaining batter with red food coloring to change it from yellow to orange. Spoon the orange batter onto the yellow.
4. Bake the cupcakes for the directed amount of time.
5. After the cupcakes have cooled, frost with white frosting and place one or two candy corn on each cupcake.
When the cupcakes are opened the yellow and orange batter with the white frosting resemble candy corn. Very cute! I use gel food coloring because I find it gives vibrant colors to the food it is added to, rather than the results achieved with liquid food coloring. But, I am sure you can use whatever kind of food coloring you have on hand.
If you have a scratch white cake recipe, or a scratch frosting recipe, feel free to use it here. I actually tried a new frosting recipe for these, and it was terrible! So, I ended up at the last second having to go with store-bought frosting. That was a disappointment, but the cupcakes were still very fun!
Posted by Elizabeth at 1:50 PM