* 1 cup kosher salt
* 1 lemon, wedged
* 1 orange, wedged
* 1 onion, wedged
* 3 cloves of garlic, minced
* 4 bay leaves
* 1 tbsp dried thyme
* 1 tbsp black pepper
* 1 1/2 gallons cold water
1. Rub the salt all over your turkey. Place the remaining ingredients into a large pot.
2. Place the turkey in the pot. Cover with additional water if needed. The turkey should be fully submerged.
3. Refrigerate the turkey in the brine overnight.
4. In the morning, remove the turkey from the brine and place it on the rack in the pan that will be used for cooking. Place the turkey, uncovered, in the fridge until it is ready to be cooked.
5. Cook at the appropriate temperature and for the length of time indicated for the size turkey you are making.
Leaving the turkey uncovered will allow the skin to dry out a bit and will help it crisp in the oven later when it is cooking. This really does make a delicious turkey! You could even try this with a whole chicken at some other time of year.