Friday, December 14, 2012
Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
* 3/4 cup butter, softened
* 1.5 cups sugar
* 3 eggs
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 1/3 cups AP flour
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 3 tbs cocoa powder (Dutch processed is preferred)
* 4 cups mini marshmallows
* 8 oz chocolate chips
*3 tbsp butter
* 1 cup peanut butter
* 2 cups crisp rice cereal
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar for 2 minutes.
2. Add vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, incorporating each before adding the next.
3. After all the eggs have been added, mix on medium for 6 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa.
5. After the six minutes, add the flour mixture. Mix until well combined and no white streaks remain.
5. Spread the cake layer into a greased 13 x 9 pan. Bake at 350 for 24 minutes.
6. Remove cake; sprinkle the marshmallows evenly over the cake. Return to the oven for 3 or 4 minutes. Spread the melted marshmallows over the cake if needed once the cake is removed from the oven.
7. For the top layer, heat the chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter on the stove over low heat. Stir until melted and well combined. Remove this from the heat and add the cereal.
8. Spread the cereal mixture over the marshmallows. Chill in the fridge.
We kept this in the fridge even after it was fully cooled. You can make this in a bigger pan if you have on (15 x 10), and reduce the oven time for the cake to about 16-18 minutes. I think I would prefer these in a bigger pan because the cereal layer was very thick. Another option would be to keep it in a 13 x 9 pan but perhaps half the cereal layer ingredients. The cake layer is very fudge-y and rich. Additionally, it will fall a bit once you add the marshmallows and the cereal layer - don't worry; this is normal.
Posted by Elizabeth at 6:34 PM