Friday, January 18, 2013
Easy Vegetable Rice Medley
* 1 tbsp canola oil
* 1 each small onion, carrot and stalk of celery, diced
* 1/2 to 1 pepper (red, yellow, green or a mix)
* 14.5 oz chicken broth
* 1 1/2 cups instant rice, uncooked
* 1 cup frozen peas, optional
1. Heat oil in a skillet. Add all the vegetables except the peas, cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3. Stir in the rice and peas if desired. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat but keep covered for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Wow! Do you see those rice medley packages that you can buy in the frozen food section and microwave for a few minutes? This dish is exactly that but so much better! It even uses instant rice so it is almost as fast! We loved this, and cooked it twice this week. The first time I used up the Uncle Ben's instant rice I had on hand, and we finished every vegetable and grain of rice in the serving bowl. The second time we made it I had to buy new instant rice and I picked up Minute Rice. We definitely didn't enjoy it as much the second time, so we will be sticking with Uncle Ben's in the future. I am sure this recipe could be altered to use regular rice, but I haven't tried that yet.
Posted by Elizabeth at 10:00 AM