Friday, January 11, 2013
Sandwich Bread - Version A
* 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (110 F)
* 1 tbsp honey
* 1 packet active dry yeast
* 1 3/4 tsp salt
* 2 tbsp soft butter
* 482 g bread flour
* 35 g nonfat dry milk powder
1. Mix all the ingredients in the order listed and knead to make a smooth dough. You can need by hand, hand mixer, or stand mixer. The dough should feel smooth and elastic when it is ready.
2. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover it and let rise for 60-90 minutes until it is quite puffy and near double in size.
3. Gently deflate the dough, and shape it into a loaf. Place the dough in a lightly greased 9 x 5 loaf pan.
4. Cover the loaf and let it rise again for another 60-90 minutes, or until it has crowned 1- 1 1/2 inches over the rim of the pan.
5. Bake the bread in a 350 F oven for 35 minutes. If it is browning too quickly, tent some foil over the top of it for the last 10 minutes.
6. Remove the bread from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack. When it is completely cool, wrap it and store it at room temperature.
My bread never quite got that high over the pan on the second rise, even after 90 minutes. When I cooked it I didn't need to cover it with any foil. It was a little hard to get out of the pan, but it was very good. I definitely will make this again, and see if I can get it just right!
Posted by Elizabeth at 10:57 PM