Friday, February 8, 2013
Broccoil Potato Soup
* 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 1 3/4 cups water
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 3 cups frozen broccoli
* 3 tbsp flour
* 1/3 cup skim milk
* cheddar cheese, for garnish
* minced fresh parsley, for garnish
1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 7 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, simmer covered for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
2. Stir in the frozen broccoli, return the soup to a boil.
3. In a small bowl whisk the flour and milk until smooth. Stir the flour and milk into the soup. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more or until the soup has thickened. Remove the soup from the heat and let it cool slightly.
4. In batches process the soup in a blender until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and reheat.
5. Serve the soup and pass parsley and cheese for each person to add as desired.
We have had neither potato soup nor broccoli soup, so we had nothing to compare this to. That being said, we loved it! Some at the table skipped the cheese altogether while others were a bit heavy handed with it. It is a very satisfying soup without tasting heavy. Perfect for a chilly winter night!
Posted by Elizabeth at 8:42 PM