Friday, March 1, 2013

Burger Buns


Ingredients
* 1 cup lukewarm water (110-115 F)
* 1 tbsp instant yeast
* 3 1/2 cups AP flour (418 g)
* 2 tbsp butter
* 1 large egg
* 1/4 cup sugar (50 g)
* 1 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 tbs butter, melted
* sesame seeds, optional

Directions
1. Combine yeast and water and let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. Mix the ingredients together in a mixing bowl fitted with dough hook.  Mix the ingredients until you have a soft, smooth dough.  This was about 8 minutes with my stand mixer.
3. Grease a glass bowl and put the dough in, turning once to grease all sides.  Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, approximately 1 - 2 hours.
4. Gently deflate the dough and divide it into 12 portions.  Shape each piece into a round ball and flatten slightly.  Place the bun on a parchment lined cookie sheet, cover and let rise again for about an hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 375.  Brush the buns with melted butter, and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
6. Bake the buns 14-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Remove them from the oven and place them on a cooling rack.

Notes
My friend came over right after I made these and said our home smelled like a bakery!  She tried one and loved it, as did we!  I made these to go with pulled pork, and they were the perfect rolls.  I will certainly be making these again.  Last time I made rolls I wasn't sure how best to roll them, so here is a link to the video tutorial I watched to learn.  This was super helpful for me.  I didn't use her recipe, rather I used one I adapted slightly from a King Arthur recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment