Friday, March 1, 2013
Texan Ranch Chicken Casserole
* 1 large onion, finely chopped
* 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
* 2 medium peppers, finely chopped (your choice of color)
* 1 tbsp canola oil
* 3 cups cooked cubed chicken breast
* 1 can cream of celery soup
* 1 can cream of chicken soup
* 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
* 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
* 1 tbsp chili powder
* crushed tortilla chips
* 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterrey jack, Colby, your choice)
1. In a large skillet saute the onion, celery and peppers in the oil until crisp tender. Stir in the chicken, soups, tomatoes, beans and chili powder.
2. Line the bottom of a 9x 12 pan with crushed tortilla chips. Top chips with half the chicken mixture, then chips, and finally the chicken mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top, and back uncovered at 350 F for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
I didn't use that many chips - just what we had on hand. I also am not sure that I used a full cup of cheese, so just use what suits your taste. I had the healthier versions of the soup, and added the beans to the recipe since my family loves black beans, but leave them out if your family doesn't like them. Ryan took the leftovers to work the next day, so that is a major endorsement from him.
Posted by Elizabeth at 5:07 PM