Friday, March 8, 2013
Wilted Lettuce Salad
* 1 bunch leaf lettuce, torn
* 5-6 radishes, thinly sliced
* 4-6 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
* 3 bacon strips
* 2 tbs red wine vinegar
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* 1/2 tsp sugar
* 1/2 tsp pepper
1. Toss the lettuce, radishes and green onions together in a salad bowl and set aside.
2. In a skillet cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper toweled line plate to drain.
3. To the hot drippings add the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and pepper and stir well. Immediately pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently.
4. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle on top. Serve.
I used romaine lettuce because that was what we had on hand, and I chopped the radish after thinly slicing it. As for the bacon, I cooked ours in the microwave on paper towels and only had a very small amount of bacon drippings available, but we made it work. As a result the salad didn't wilt very much. If you follow the directions presented here I am sure it will give the desired effect. Our salad was crisp and just slightly warm. We loved it, however, and had it twice this week!
Posted by Elizabeth at 8:18 PM