Friday, May 17, 2013
Braised Chicken and Kale
* 1 lb chicken breasts, sliced thin (or butterflied)
* 1 tbsp paprika
* freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
* 1 tsp olive oil
* 1medium onion, sliced thin
* 6 garlic cloves, sliced
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 1 cup dry white wine
* 2 sprigs thyme
* 1 large bunch of kale, ribs and stems removed, cut into 1" strips
* lemon wedges
1. Sprinkle chicken with paprika and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in a large pot or saute pan over medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides, then transfer to a plate.
3. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, and add the broth, wine and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is nearly cooked through, about 15 minutes.
4. Add the kale to the pan. Cover, and cook the kale until wilted, about 5 minutes.
5. Discard the thyme, and serve the chicken and kale with lemon wedges.
Wow!!!! We loved this!!! I had never cooked or even tried kale before, but figured I should hop on the kale train and see how it went over. Everyone enjoyed this dinner tremendously, and Hannah and I were fighting over finishing the kale before Ryan even got some. (Note to self...definitely need to add more kale for us next time). Squeezing the lemon over the chicken and kale really added a brightness to this dish that put it over the top. We did serve some egg noodles on the side for my carb lovers! They drizzled the sauce over the noodles, so next time it might make sense to try to reduce the braising liquid after cooking the kale to make it a bit "saucier"!
Posted by Elizabeth at 8:58 PM