Friday, June 28, 2013
Strawberry Shortcake Cups
* Fresh strawberries
* 2 tbsp sugar
* 1 1/2 cups AP flour
* 1 tbsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
* fresh whipped cream (recipe follows)
1. Slice the strawberries, set aside.
2. Combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine.
3. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly and resembles sand.
4. Beat the egg and milk together. Pour this mixture into the flour, and combine the batter. Stir until just moistened and do not over-mix.
5. Fill 8-10 prepared muffin cups approximately 2/3 full. Bake at 425 for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove the muffin shortcakes to cool on a wire rack.
6. To serve, split each muffin shortcake in half, then spoon on whipped cream and strawberries. Enjoy!
Chill mixing bowl and beater (I used my stand mixer) in the freezer for 15 minutes. When ready, add 1 cup heavy cream to the bowl. Beat on medium high for a few minutes, until soft peaks form. Add 2 tbsp powdered sugar and 1-2 tsp vanilla. Beat on medium high until stiff peaks form, and then serve!
I forgot to take a completed photo of the dessert, but needless to say, these were wonderful! So quick to throw together, and I thought making the shortcakes in a muffin tin was a GREAT idea!!! I will definitely be making these again.
Posted by Elizabeth at 9:32 PM