Friday, October 25, 2013
Edible eyes for treats made from royal icing
Ingredients for Royal Icing
* 1 large egg white
* 1/2 tsp vanilla
* 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
1. Beat the egg white and vanilla until foamy on medium-high speed.
2. Reduce the speed to slow and gradually incorporate the sugar. Once fully incorporated, mix on high for approximately 6 minutes.
3. Add food coloring if desired, and frost your creation.
To make edible eyes
1. Using a small tip, pipe round white circles onto wax paper.
2. After letting the white frosting set for a short while (just a few minutes), follow with a black dot of icing piped onto the white.
3. Let the eyes fully set, 12-24 hours. They will easily release from the wax paper when they are dry.
4. Use, or store in an airtight container in your pantry or cabinet until needed.
I used my stand mixer for this, but you can use a hand mixer as well. The stand mixer was nice because it freed me up to do some other things while it went for the 5 minutes. Gotta love when they appliance independently does the work for you!
I used a #5 tip for the white, and #1 for the black, but I think I could have gone with a slightly larger tip for both. These were easy to make, and now we have eyes on hand for all sorts of creations!
I separated the frosting into 2 portions so I could tint one black. I find the gel food coloring works much better then liquid.
Posted by Elizabeth at 2:58 PM