Friday, December 20, 2013
* 2 cups sugar, divided
* 2 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1/2 cup finely crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 2 eggs
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 3/4 cups AP flour
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 2 tsp cream of tartar
* 1 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cinnamon and the crushed peppermint candy. Combine well and set aside.
3. In a large bowl cream the butter and remaining sugar for 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides, and cream one more minute. Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing for 1 minute after each addition. Then add in the vanilla. Scrape down the sides.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, salt, cream or tartar and baking soda. Add to the butter sugar mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
5. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the sugar mixture. Place on the baking sheet.
6. Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes or until the edges are set and they begin to turn very lightly brown. Cool for 3 - 4 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
Very festive for the holidays! Not overwhelmingly minty, just a hint. Delicious!
Posted by Elizabeth at 9:10 PM