The last post for April...this year seems to be flying by! My grad school semester wraps up next week, but the summer semester begins the following week. No rest for the weary, I guess.
We tried 5 new dinner recipes this week, but only two earned the keeper seal of approval! Tasty turkey burgers were, well, tasty! And we love salmon, so I am always on the look out for new marinades or ways to prepare it. This week I picked out a new marinade to try, and when paired with my new favorite side dish/vegetable (zoodles), it was fantastic!
I didn't get a chance to make graham crackers, and we didn't try any new desserts. It was my husband's 10 year anniversary at work and one evening he brought home a huge amount of leftover celebratory cake, so clearly there was no need to try out the dessert I had picked for the week. We'll see if it makes the recipe list next week!
Gotta get back to my final paper....happy cooking!
Tasty Turkey Burgers
Friday, April 26, 2013
* 2 tbsp cider vinegar
* 2 tbsp soy sauce
* 1 tbsp honey
* 1 tsp light olive oil
* 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
* salmon (either whole or individual pieces)
1. Mix the marinade ingredients. Pour over the salmon and refrigerate for an hour, flipping the salmon after 30 minutes.
2. Bake the salmon at 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes in a prepared pyrex or parchment lined cookie sheet.
3. Serve with vegetables or side dish of your choice.
I serve this with julienned carrots and zucchini (zoodles) and it was fantastic! Great presentation, and really delicious!
Posted by Elizabeth at 9:27 PM
* 2 tbs Frank's hot sauce
* 2 tsp ground cumin
* 2 tsp chili powder
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
1. In a large bowl, combine the hot sauce, cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble the turkey over the seasoning mixture, and mix well. Shape into 4-6 burger.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Cook the turkey burgers 5 minutes a side.
3. Serve the burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato, onions, cheese, and whatever else you like!
I made our favorite homemade burger buns for these, and they were fantastic! It is nice to have an inside alternative to cook burgers when the grill is unavailable because of weather. The kids put pickles and ketchup on their burgers, Ryan added more hot sauce. Enjoy them however you like!
Posted by Elizabeth at 9:26 PM