Friday, January 3, 2014

Crab Toasts



Ingredients
* 1 stick butter, softened
* 1 jar (5 oz) Old English cheese spread
* 1 1/2 tsp mayonnaise
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder
* 1/2 tsp seasoned salt (optional)
* 1 6z can good quality crab meat (not imitation)
* 6 English Muffins, split

Directions
1. Mix all the ingredients (except the English muffins!).
2. Spread the mixture on the raw English muffins. 
3. Place the English muffins on a cookie sheet and freeze until hard.
4. When the muffins are hard, cut each into 4 pieces.  Place all the pieces in a freezer bag until you are ready to make and serve them.
5. When ready to make the crab toasts, place the sections on a cookie sheet and toast under the broiler in the oven until the cheese is melted and the toasts are lightly golden brown.

Notes
This is an oldie but a goodie!  My grandmother used to make these!  For the seasoned salt, I used Lawry's because I had that on hand, but you could also use Old Bay or something similar.  When I mixed this together, I found that 8 split English muffins worked well for me, but I suppose I could have simply added a bit more mix to each muffin if I only had 6.  Also, instead of a freezer bag I placed the crab toasts after I cut them back in the plastic bag of the English Muffins.  If you are going to make these well ahead of when you are going to use them and anticipate they will be in the freezer for a long time then definitely use a freezer bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment