Friday, March 14, 2014
Chicken and Quinoa Soup
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 3 celery stalks, diced
* 2 cups carrots, diced
* 1 tsp Cajun seasoning, plus more for sprinkling on bowls of soup
* 1 cup quinoa
* 1 qt chicken broth
* 3 cups water
* kosher salt and black pepper
* 2 1/2 cups shredded or diced chicken (fully cooked)
* sour cream, optional
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly soft, about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in the quinoa, then add the chicken broth, water, and salt & pepper to taste. Partially cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook until the quinoa starts to soften, about 12 minutes. Add the chicken and cook about another 10 minutes.
3. Serve the soup. Sprinkle each bowl with additional Cajun seasoning, and sour cream if desired.
We used Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (reduced sodium version). At first we had the soup without the additional sprinkle, but then we added it to our individual bowls. What a difference! This was a great soup, and a nice alternative to chicken noodle soup.
Posted by Elizabeth at 10:55 PM