Friday, March 7, 2014
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
* 3 cups AP flour
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 tbsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 3 tbsp poppy seeds
* 1 1/2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt
* 2 eggs
* 1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
* 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375. Generously spray your muffins tins or use liners.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds together in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together the yogurt, eggs and lemon zest.
4. Gently fold in the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture. Then fold in the butter.
5. Fill the muffin tins to the top. It is a thick batter, but don't worry. Don't overfill.
6. For regular sized muffins, bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. For mini muffins, begin checking at 9 minutes and 30 seconds.
7. While the muffins and cooking, mix the lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar. Heat over low heat until the sugar dissolves. When the muffins come out of the oven, brush each muffin with the lemon syrup.
This batter makes between 12-16 regular sized muffins, and between 36-40 mini muffins. We made them mini, and then after we filled 24 we made a mini loaf pan sized loaf. The loaf overflowed! If you try that, put a baking sheet under the loaf pan to catch the overflow. The loaf tool about 55 minutes to cook through; I put some aluminum foil over it after 35 minutes so the top didn't burn. Although it didn't come out as beautiful as I would have liked, I can adjust that for next time (don't fill the loaf pan to the top!). My kids loved these as much as I did! Yum!
Posted by Elizabeth at 6:55 AM