Friday, March 7, 2014
Stove Top Mac 'N Cheese
* 1 lb small shells of elbow macaroni pasta
* 4 tbsp butter
* 2 eggs
* 12 oz evaporated milk, divided
* dash - 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1 tsp kosher salt
* fresh black pepper, to taste
* 3/4 tsp dry mustard
* 12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook the pasta in salted boiling water as directed on package. Drain (reserve 1/2 cup of the water if you desire, just in case you need it!)
2. Return the pasta to the pot, add the butter and toss to coat.
3. Whisk together the eggs, 6 oz of the milk, the cayenne, salt, pepper and mustard powder. Stir this into the buttered pasta.
4. Add the cheese and the remaining 6 oz of milk. Stir over low heat until the cheese is melted, approximately 3 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
I used 2% evaporated milk and it worked well. If you want to use the regular it may even turn out creamier! Also, I kept about 1/2 cup pasta water before I drained it just in case I felt I needed to thin out the sauce, but I didn't need to use it. But always better to grab the water before it goes down the drain then realize you need it!
Posted by Elizabeth at 6:55 AM