* 1 tbsp oil
* 1 yellow onion, diced
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
* 1 28 ox can petite diced tomatoes
* splash of red wine (optional)
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp sugar
* freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* 2 tsp dried parsley
1. Heat the oil over medium in a large skillet or saute pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes or until translucent. Pour in the tomatoes and wine (if using). Mix until combined.
2. Add the salt, pepper, sugar and parsley. Stir to combine, and cook over medium low for 20 minutes. If desired add meatballs into the sauce and simmer another 20 minutes or until the meatballs are heated through. Occasionally stir gently. Serve with pasta.
We added meatballs and loved this over noodles! We had a mix of noodle types in our pantry (a little of this, a little of that) and cleared them out all at once with this sauce and meatballs. Yum! The original recipe called for 1/4 cup fresh parsley but I didn't have any on hand so I used dried and it worked well.