Friday, April 4, 2014
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
* 2 sweet potatoes, cleaned, peeled and cubed
* 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
* 1 1/2 tsp cumin, divided
* 1/2 to 1 tsp chili powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 1 can black bean, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups if you use your own homemade)
* 1 red pepper, diced
* 1/2 cup red onion, diced
* 1 small jalapeno, diced (optional)
* tortillas (6-12 depending on size of tortilla and how much filling you will use with each)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Mix the cubed sweet potatoes with 2 tbsp of the olive oil, 1 tsp cumin, chili powder , salt and pepper. Mix to coat everything, then roast on a sheet or in a Pyrex for about 25 minutes or until soft.
3.With about 10 minutes of roasting time remaining, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the red pepper, onion and jalapeno (if using) for about 5 minutes. Add the black beans and 1/2 tsp cumin for the additional 5 minutes. Stir until all combined and heated through.
4. When sweet potatoes are finished roasting, place them in a mixing bowl and mash lightly. Add the pepper, onion and black bean mixture to the potatoes. Combine well. Add any additional salt and pepper to taste.
5. Prepare a saute pan or griddle with a little olive oil to make the quesadillas. Place some filling on half the tortilla, fold and make the quesadilla in the pan or on the griddle. Let the tortilla get golden on each side, then remove and cut into in half or thirds. Enjoy!
Wow! I didn't know if I'd like these, but the big kids and I absolutely loved them!!!! Hannah and I had the leftover filling heated up the next day (skipped the tortilla) and it was still fabulous! I added a splash of fresh lime juice to mine and it brightened it up just a bit. What a great dish!
Posted by Elizabeth at 11:14 AM