Friday, April 4, 2014
Zucchini Pineapple Muffins
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup shredded zucchini
* 1 8z can crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice, undrained, reserving 1 tbsp liquid
* 2 eggs, slightly beaten
* 1 1/2 cups AP flour
* 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp allspice
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line or grease your muffin pans.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time.
3. Beat in the zucchini and pineapple and combine well.
4. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and allspice. Stir until well combined.
5. If using nuts, fold in.
6. Distribute into muffin pan, and bake for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. As soon as the muffins come out brush the reserved tbsp of pineapple juice onto the tops of the muffins.
7. Cool 5-10 minutes in pan, then remove muffins and finish cooling on a cooling rack.
8. Enjoy warm or room temperature!
We loved these! I made them once with walnuts, and once without. My monkeys like them better without the nuts, and I enjoyed them both ways. In my oven 22 minutes was the perfect amount of time. Also, the pineapple adds a great flavor, but a lot of people couldn't put their finger on the extra ingredients until I told them. Give these a try - I bet they will be a hit! With walnuts in the batter, this made about 18-19 muffins, and without, it made 15-16.
Posted by Elizabeth at 11:13 AM