Friday, May 23, 2014
Baked Potato Casserole
* 2 1/2 - 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
* 1 cup evaporated milk (regular or lowfat)
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp black pepper
* 1.5 cups shredded cheddar
* 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
* 1/4 cup sliced green onions
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 7x11 casserole dish.
3. Return potatoes to saucepan. Add evaporated milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir or beat with a mixer until desired consistency. Stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and 1/2 of the bacon. Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining cheese, bacon, and all the green onions. Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
We made this ahead of time, and then put it in the fridge. Right befre we left for Saturday evening mass we put it in the oven and used the delayed time bake feature. Because it had been cold, the way to cook this is to cover it with foil and cook it for 40-45 minutes. Then uncover, top with the cheese, bacon and green onions for the last few minutes, as directed above. It was great to have this cook while we were gone and be ready when we got home! We enjoyed this side dish!And we love green onions, so we added a lot more than it called for! Probably closer to a 1/2 cup
Posted by Elizabeth at 6:34 PM