Friday, May 30, 2014

Spanish Rice


Ingredients
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1.5 cups uncooked brown rice
* 1 onion, minced
* 3 cups water
* 1 (14.5 oz) can of petite diced tomatoes (see note)
* 1 tbsp chili powder
* 1.5 tsp salt

Directions
1. Heat the oil in a deep skillet over medium heat.  Saute the rice and onion until the onions are tender, about 7-8 minutes.
2. Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and cover the pot.  Simmer (checking occasionally) for 45-55 minutes, or until the rice is to your liking.  The majority of the liquid should be absorbed.
3. Serve and enjoy!

Notes
We were having turkey tacos for dinner (using this taco seasoning) and I felt we needed a new side dish.  Sometimes we have black beans, but the kids were in the mood for rice.  I looked up a few Spanish rice recipes, but none fit my needs (and current pantry items).  Finally I decided to make up my own based on what I had seen in the various recipes, and lo and behold this was born.  I think what really makes it delicious was the Red Gold Petite Diced Tomatoes with Lime Juice and Cilantro.  I hadn't noticed that version of tomatoes before, but it was amazing in this rice dish.  Feel free to use whatever kind of diced tomatoes you have on hand (we are anxious to use homegrown later this summer!), but if you have to pick some up, look for these.  It was great!  If you are nervous about it being a little too spicy, feel free to cut out or cut back the chili powder; I think you will still have tasty results!

No comments:

Post a Comment