Friday, September 19, 2014
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
* 4 cups precooked and shredded chicken
* 1 jar of marinara sauce (24 oz)
* 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
* 1 cup mozzarella cheese
* 1 cup breadcrumbs, Panko or homemade
* 1-2 tbsp olive oil
* 1 1/2 dry tsp Italian seasoning, plus fresh minced basil if desired
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Grease an 8 x 8 or 11 x 7 casserole dish with cooking spray.
3. Mix the chicken and marinara sauce together and place in the dish. Top with the cheese to cover the chicken.
4. In a small bowl mix the breadcrumbs, oil and herbs together. Add salt and pepper if desired. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top of the chicken.
5. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the crumbs are golden and the casserole is bubbling on the sides.
I needed to cook this on the longer side, but it depends on how much you really put in your casserole, how hot your oven runs, if you took it right from the fridge to put it in the oven, etc. This is definitely a meal you could make in the morning and cook in the evening when you get home. To make it super easy, shred a rotisserie chicken and use part of the chicken meat from that for this recipe. We loved this and will definitely be making it again. So often you think of chicken Parmesan and pairing it with pasta but we didn't miss the pasta! We served it with spinach salad and were all satisfied.
Posted by Elizabeth at 4:46 PM