Friday, September 19, 2014

Chicken with Caramelized Pearl Onions and Almonds


Ingredients
*2-4 bone in chicken breasts, halved
* salt and pepper
* 1 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 bag of frozen pearl onions (10-16 oz), thawed
* 2 tbsp unsalted butter
* 1 tbsp brown sugar
* 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
* 1/2 cup chopped almonds
* 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives

Direction
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Pat the chicken dry with paper towels then season with salt and pepper.  Cook the chicken, skin side down, for 5 minutes or until well-browned. Flip the chicken, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 15 more minutes or until the meat is cooked through.  Transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm.
2. While the chicken is cooking, place the thawed onions in a medium bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave until tender, 4 to 5 minutes; drain well.
3. Melt the butter in the now empty skillet over medium high heat.  Add the onions, brown sugar and vinegar and cook until the onions are caramelized, about 5 minutes.  Add the almonds to the skillet and cook and stir for another 1-2 minutes.  Remove from the heat and nest the chicken back into the onion mixture.  Sprinkle the chicken with chives and serve.

Notes
Wow! We loved this!!!!  It took less than 30 minutes and we all agreed it was a restaurant quality meal.  It looked beautiful and tasted delicious.  I had never used or tasted pearl onions before this dinner though they are typically one of the side dishes at Thanksgiving!  I was a bit skeptical but figured we like onions so I might as well give the recipe a try.  I am so glad I did!  45 minutes before I needed the onions I had taken them out of the freezer and poured them into the bowl I was going to microwave them in and let them thaw on the counter.  I microwaved my onions for 4 minutes and that worked.  My grocery store only had onions in a 10 oz bag. The original recipe calls for a 16 oz bag but this worked out just fine.  Also, I cut the chicken up even further prior to nesting it back in the skillet which made it easier for the kids to handle and cut themselves.  We will definitely make this meal again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment