Friday, September 5, 2014
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 4-6 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
* 1 small onion, finely diced
* kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
* 3 tbsp water
* 1 tbsp unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In a large saute pan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the potato cubes and onion and season with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
3. Turn up the heat to high and add the water. Stir and then cover with a lid. Steam the potatoes until the water evaporates about 4 minutes. TO ensue that the potatoes don't stick (or don't stick too much) open the lid and quickly stir every minute or two while the water is evaporating.
4. Lower the heat to medium, remove the lid and allow all, or nearly all, the remaining water the evaporate.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter to the potatoes. Toss to coat. Spread the potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 25-40 minutes, checking to see when they have reached your desired level of color and crispness. Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and enjoy!
These were outstanding potatoes. I did think they were a bit messy when I turned them onto the baking sheet - definitely not all of the potatoes had retained their cube shape during the course of this cooking, but they were all fabulous when it was time to eat! So while they were a little involved, I do believe they were worth the effort as they were so incredibly scrumptious!)
Posted by Elizabeth at 10:26 PM