* 3 cups AP flour
* 1 tbsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 10 tbsp butter, softened
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 1/2 cups plain vanilla yogurt
* 4 ripe bananas, mashed very well (at least 1 1/2 cups of mashed banana)
* 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and brown sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients and the yogurt, going back and forth3 times, until all is incorporated. Do not overmix - only mix until there are little to no streaks of flour remaining.
5. Fold in the bananas, and then if using, fold in the walnuts.
5. Divide the batter into greased muffin tins, filling almost to the top.
6. Bake at 425 F for the first 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 375 and bake for an additional 15-18 minutes (a toothpick inserted into a muffin should come out clean).
We finally got this right! We previously had used vanilla yogurt, but that began to overpower the banana flavor. We added an additional banana, and swapped out nutmeg for cinnamon. When we made these we left some batter without walnuts, and then added them into the remaining. I definitely prefer the muffins with the walnuts, but the kids prefer without, so this was a great compromise! I hope you enjoy these! (These are definitely best the the first day or 2, so freeze some if you aren't going to eat them all right away, or make a half batch! The recipe as written about made 17 muffins for me.)