Friday, October 17, 2014
Spicy Tomato Sauce with Shrimp
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 3 tbsp olive oil
* 1 1/2 lbs of uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 1 cup tomato juice
* 1 cup tomato sauce
* 1/2 - 1 tsp red pepper flakes
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 4 tsp corn starch
* 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
* 2 tbsp minced fresh basil
* pasta, rice or zoodles of your choice, cooked as directed
1. In a large nonstick skillet saute the garlic in oil until tender. Then cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the shrimp from the pan and keep warm.
2. Add the tomato juice, tomato sauce, pepper flakes, salt and pepper to the oil and garlic in the pan. Stir and and combine well.
3. Mix the corn starch with the wine (or chicken broth). Stir this mixture into the tomato sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes. Add the basil to the sauce and let the cook for 1 minutes. Stir the shrimp and any accumulated juice back into the sauce and cook until the shrimp are fully warmed through again.
4. Serve the shrimp and sauce over pasta, rice or zoodles! Enjoy!
Wow - super yummy! I had mine over zoodles (spiralized zucchini), and Ryan had his over angel hair. We both really enjoyed this. I saved the leftover sauce and made fresh zoodles to use with the sauce for lunch. And the I also used the sauce on my pizza for dinner. Can you tell I loved it??? Give it a try and let me know how you enjoy it!
For the tomato juice, I actually used 11 oz instead of 8 oz, because I had small cans of tomato juice and each can is 5.5 oz. So if you also have those little cans, feel free to add the extra to the sauce - it won't hurt it!
Posted by Elizabeth at 2:02 PM