Friday, November 14, 2014

Dutch Apple Pie



Ingredients
* 2 cups AP flour
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
* 3/4 cup butter
* 4 apples, peeled and diced
* 4 tbsp AP flour
* 4 tbsp sugar
* 2 tsp cinnamon

Directions
1. In a large bowl mix the first four ingredients.  Set aside 1 cup and then press the rest into an ungreased 9inch pie plate.
2. Mix the apples with the flour, sugar and cinnamon.  Pour in the pie crust.
3. Top the apples with the reserved crumb mixture.
4. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack.  Enjoy!

Notes
I am not a huge traditional pie crust fan, so this pie recipe intrigued me.  The filling that went with the pie looked a little strange so I adjusted it to my preference and ended up with this simple filling.  I used 2 granny smith apples and 2 honeycrisp apples.  This pie was easy to put together since there is no crust to roll out - you simply press it in the pie plate.  I made this one weeknight "just because" and it was a hit.  I will definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment