Friday, November 14, 2014

How to process pumpkin

1. Wash your pumpkins.  Remove the stems, then cut in half from the top to the bottom.
2. Remove the pumpkin seeds.  Sprinkle the pumpkin flesh with kosher salt.
3. On a baking tray lined with parchment paper lay the pumpkin halves flesh side down.
4. Cook in a 400 F oven for 30-45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the pumpkin glides in easily without resistance.
5. Let the pumpkin cool until you can easily handle them, approximately 1 hour.
6. Remove the skin, then process in a food processor or blender until very smooth.
7. Store the pumpkin puree in the fridge for 1 week, or in the freezer for longer.

Notes
I like to store most of my pumpkin in 2 cup batches as this is often the amount I need for a recipe, though I do store a few 1 cups as well.  Pumpkin freezes beautifully!

Edit:  I added the pictures in 2020!








No comments:

Post a Comment