Friday, November 7, 2014
Quick Pork Chops with Tomatoes and Onions
* 2 tsp oil
* 6 boneless pork chops
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 small onion, sliced thin
* 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 cup beef broth
* 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
* 1/8 tsp dried basil
* 1/8 tsp dried oregano
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
1. In a large nonstick skillet heat the oil over medium to medium high heat. Pat dry the pork chops and then season with salt and pepper. In the skillet brown the pork chops on both sides. Remove from the pan.
2. Add the onions to the now empty skillet and cook 3-5 minutes or until they are tender and beginning to caramelize. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, add the pork chops back to the skillet. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, and then flip the pork chops and simmer for another 5 minutes. Test for doneness (when the pork is cut into the juice should be clear).
4. Place the pork on a platter and top with the tomato and onion sauce. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles. Enjoy!
This was incredibly easy and delicious! It could easily be put together even on a hectic weeknight. The cooking time when the pork goes back into the sauce may be a bit longer or shorter depending on the thickness of your chops. Mine were of average thickness (a little more than 1/2 inch each), so this timing described in the directions worked well for our pork chops. The boys asked for mashed potatoes so that was our side dish (along with both roasted and steamed broccoli - so everyone would eat their veggies!). We will definitely make these again.
Posted by Elizabeth at 9:55 PM