Friday, December 19, 2014
Shredded Sweet Potatoes and Spinach
* 1 large or 2 medium sized shallots, minced
* 2 tsp olive oil
* 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 1 lb)
* 4-5 oz fresh spinach, rough chopped
* salt and pepper, to taste
1. Saute the shallots in the oil over medium to medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add the shredded sweet potatoes and stir occasionally. Cook the potatoes for 9 minutes.
2. Just prior to adding the spinach, season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Add in the spinach. Cook and stir until the spinach has wilted and fully heated through. Serve and enjoy!
If you feel like there isn't enough oil in the pan after sauteing the shallots add another tsp or so prior to adding the potatoes. And feel free to scrape up the yummy brown bits from the pan when you stir; they are flavorful and delicious! It will seem like a lot of potatoes and spinach, but both cook down and you will be surprised at the amount you will have when you are done. And believe me...if you are all intrigued by this recipe I would absolutely suggest you give it a try. It is neither expensive or time consuming to make, so you really have nothing to lose. I anticipated not enjoying this dish at all and was so caught off guard at how much I loved it! I made it not only as a side dish when we first tried it, but later in the week made it for lunch! I only lightly seasoned this dish with salt and pepper while cooking, but then had the salt and pepper out on the table for everyone to add as suited them.
Posted by Elizabeth at 2:46 PM