Friday, September 14, 2012

September 14, 2012

Hannah's cast is almost off (we hope!). She returns to the doctor on Monday morning, and hopefully he will tell us that she is ready for action again!  Monday cannot come soon enough...not being able to run cross country, and sitting on the sidelines for soccer practices and games is really getting her down.  But, I pray that by the time I write another entry she will be wearing two cleats again!

This week we made a lot of meals with freezer and pantry ingredients, and some of our favorites, so we didn't try out any new dinner menu items.  I did find a few great ones for the week ahead, including some side dishes, so we'll see what pans out.

What we did try this week is so indicative of the time of year.  Sort of the last dance between summer and fall...one recipe with raspberries that reminds me of summer, one recipe with pumpkin which is definitely autumnal, and zucchini which is sort of a mix of both seasons.  The raspberry bars were outstanding, and I think would work with any kind of berry and I would like to try them with peaches!  The baked pumpkin doughnuts were delicious fresh from the oven, so you may think about making a half recipe.  The kids did enjoy them over the days following, but they were definitely best fresh.  And as for the chocolate chocolate chip muffins - no one was able to guess there was zucchini in them! My kids did know there was zucchini in the ingredient list, and they were skeptical, but after the first bite they quickly became believers!  We even made them twice this week (I kept giving them away, and I made a few changes for the better the second time I made them).

As summer moves to fall...bring on the pumpkin and apple recipes, as well as the stews, casseroles and slow cooker meals!

New Recipes
Raspberry Crumb Bars
Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins (shhh!  it has zucchini inside!)

No comments:

Post a Comment