Friday, October 19, 2012

October 19, 2012

So close...so close, but no cigar.  Most of the recipes this week were very close to being keepers, but most didn't make it.  I have high hopes that the three that missed the mark will make it into the keeper realm.  A slow cooker pork roast had fabulous flavor, and made a great gravy, but I didn't like the cut of pork that was called for in the recipe.  A casserole to use leftover ham was great, and the family devoured it, but I think the sauce needs to be doubled, so I will be making it again to test that theory.  And, finally, I made homemade granola.  Some of it tasted amazing, but some tasted bitter and burnt.  After I made it I read a tip about granola on another recipe that says it crisps up as it cools.  Oh my, I wish I had read that before I made it!  I cooked it way past what my recipe called for because it wasn't getting hard - so, I overcooked it.  I will definitely make it again, though, because when the kids and I got some good parts of the granola mix, it was fantastic.

It was book club this week, so I made a dessert to bring and it was the lone keeper of the week.  My candy corn cupcakes were a hit with the ladies, and they were easy.  They are really cute and fun for the autumn.  I can hardly call these a recipe, but cute decorated cupcakes.  You family will love these.

We have a crazy and busy week ahead, so who knows what recipes will even be tried and tested, let alone earn the keeper seal of approval.  We'll just have to see what happens!

New Recipe
Candy Corn Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment